Monday, June 18, 2012

my dream curtains

"Fancy-ish" curtains are another thing on my list of items I really really want in my new place. I am soo sick of blinds and boring window coverings. The boyfriend and I have agreed on black curtains, and surprisingly there are PLENTY available in any store that sells curtains. I thought it would be hard to find, but many curtains have a black option and stores carry a sample so its really nice to be able to see it in person.

We found really nice subtly patterned ones at JC Penney that I think are my goal to get, I just couldn't get a good photo and they don't have the black version pictured online.

Our main problem though is we either want a 'window curtain' or 'waterfall valance' in a rich green color. However, this color seems to not exist in window treatments! So much googling and looking in stores has resulted in nothing.

Here's some TERRIBLE crude color changing photoshops I did - I know they suck, but they were done just for something to help me visually in my curtain search.


This is the green we can't find anywhere! These are curtain scarves, and this is what I prefer visually. I also want to be able to tie the curtains back like in the photo on the right.


I like the set up here too, the double scarf fold/loops and curtain to the side but I don't think you could do that with heavy curtains. We want light blocking opaque black. But the green I think would look nice in sheer like in the first photo.

Last, here is a "valance" which is what I see used in most homes. Usually people have the cut straight across country-look (IMO) valance which I'm sick of too... this is called a waterfall valance and I like it, but I prefer a window scarf because those drop down to the sides and seem more loose and airy.

I also love the texture on these curtains, I'm hoping the JC Penney ones I want end up looking similar to this.

I just can't believe no one sells any window treatment that color green. I don't think its that weird of a color. Something has to exist somewhere...

I've had friends tell me we could try to dye white curtains a deep green - but I just worry whatever material the curtains are made out of may not soak up the green enough. I've read synthetic materials are really hard to dye. I also have no sewing skills and am not sure where we could find someone to sew us a curtain scarf or valance. Here's to crossing my fingers and hoping I figure something out by the time we move.

4 comments:

  1. oh wow, thats a nice color combination! and curtains are not tooo difficult to sew so maybe you could do it even with no sewing skills :-D anyways good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I wondered if I could just buy a big thing of fabric and just hem it, but I've literally never sewed anything before. we shall see how desperate i get!

      Delete
  2. Those curtains are lovely! I'm just curious to ask, is your boyfriend's sense of style and decor similar with you, or are you going to make some compromises? I'm asking because my significant other is not a goth (though he was as a teen) and sometimes it can be a bit problematic. ^_^*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm sorry it causes you issues! Well, my guy is not really into many darker things by himself, but he's open to most things, even if its not his "personal" style. He doesn't oppose anything as being too dark or too weird (yet!). He has opinions, but he's definitely not against my sense of style.

      For example, these curtains- I sent him these photos and he said "looks pretty awesome." And he's actually the one that wants to be sure the curtains are opaque and light blocking. I could live with sun in the morning, but he's the one that said he really wants opaque curtains.

      He's also pretty open to other dark colors. We are thinking about painting the walls a really dark gray and he's completely okay with it. So even if the dark style probably isn't something he would choose if I wasn't around - he seems pretty into it and I don't think he's sitting around thinking "man i wish we could have beige and light blue decor" heh.

      I can't really think of anything that would cause us problems. But I don't know since we don't live together yet.. I'll have to check your blog out more and see if you've ever discussed anything.

      Delete