Friday, May 11, 2012

Modest Fashion

'Modesty' is something I've noticed in my clothing. I guess it depends on your definition but I view modest as = showing little skin. Its definitely NOT from a prude point of view, i LOVE women that look good showing off their skin. Its mostly my own self image issues with myself. But ALSO because I genuinely get cold a lot.

Eventually, I want to stop being so self conscious and show some skin so this blog might help me do it.

For now though I wanted to share some tips on modesty, or the better general description, tips for anyone that wants to cover their skin let it be for modest, religious, keeping warm, gothic fashion (staying pale!), or whatever reasons.

1. ARM WARMERS are my favorite thing in the world. At the most hottest point of summer I will wear a short sleeve tee with arm warmers. Thats the most arm skin I will show. I get cold a lot during summer because of air conditioning so I always want arm warmers on me so I dont freeze once I get inside.

I do have a lot of arm 'warmers' that are really thin and don't make me warm at all, that are great for shielding sun in the summer. So non-warming ones exist, you just need to look for them!

Good arm warmers help me in winter too when even a long sleeve shirt doesn't satisfy me and my hands are cold, I put them on and the ends peek out from under my sleeves and keep me extra warm.

Places to buy them are of course hot topic, and http://heavyred.com/gloves.aspx has a great selection I use a couple from all the time. My others are random surprise store finds or etsy. Wrist cuffs are another good search term for arm covering.



2. SHRUGS. I didn't even know this was a thing until a year ago maybe. Search "shrug" on etsy and you get a million results. "shirtless sleeves" are also a good searchword. Shrugs are basically your arms/upper back covered minimally so the top youre wearing isnt covered too much.

I LOVE this shop's "shirtless sleeves" http://www.etsy.com/shop/clothesmindeddesign because they are perfect to put UNDER clothing. They're tight and sleek so it easily goes under a tshirt or nice blouse. I own two of these. they don't overheat me, just have the perfect coverage for my upper back/neck and arms.

This is another shop with shrugs/sleeves I have purchased from http://www.etsy.com/shop/missfitclothing

http://www.etsy.com/shop/undertheroot This person sells arm spats, and I bought a pair. They may be good for someone that wants more arm covering than arm warmers but not back covering- however for me I prefer the shrugs I have because these sleeves would ride down a lot and bunch up too much.




3. HIP T http://www.myhip-t.com/ I love mine! I think I have 3 pairs. You wear it on your mid section if youre cold, a shirt is too short, or worried about your pants riding down... It makes me feel sooo much better to put this on and have it half under my shirt and half over my pants. You can even wear it on your bra to cover too much cleavage.











4. BRA COVERS I don't know the correct word for these, but google bra cover. I didnt know these existed until a few years either. I own one I randomly found in a store and I also own "the winkee" however the website seems to not be working. Here a general site selling it http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemID=13980&itemType=PRODUCT and here's an old blog post I found featuring it http://www.shefinds.com/2008/modesty_fights_back_new_cleavage_covering_bra_accessories/

Bra cover, cleavage cover, modesty panel are all good search terms.



5. SHOPPING ADVICE I wear a lot of open button up long sleeve shirts/cardigans/sweaters/collared shirts. They keep your arms and back warm but if you keep them open your "main shirt" still shows in front and you don't overheat. Basically that is my wardrobe at work in the summer since I feel short sleeve + arm warmers is inappropriate for the office. I always wear layers of a short sleeve shirt and some kind of button up over it, if I cant wear a regular long sleeve shirt.

I've found the best time to shop for long sleeve "summer" shirts is actually winter. Walk into the mall in the summer and its REALLY hard to find long sleeves. I look for the lightest materials, I own a lot of sheer, flimsy, super thin long sleeve button up shirts/cardigans I wear over shirts. They dont overheat me and it IS possible to find really thin material if you look hard for it, you just need to look in the winter time if you want long sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment