Friday, May 18, 2012

Mother's Day - Cemetery (for grandmother)

So, I think some of this blog will be a lot of 'awkward' personal things I would like to post about, but feel too awkward for Facebook. Facebook just feels way more public. Yes, this blog isn't private and I'm not hiding my identity but you would need to take the effort to type in the URL and read my posts. Facebook just shares everything on everyone's wall and I feel like its more "look at me!" to hundreds of people. I have things I would like to post about, and I don't care who sees them - I just don't want them shoved under everyone i know noses like facebook does.

Anyway, something that fits into this non-facebook category is visiting the cemetery.

I was really close with my grandmother, she basically raised me more than my parents, in my opinion. I just remember she was the main person around when I was a kid because my parents worked. She passed away, and of course I always feel the guilt about being a bad kid and not appreciating her but I'm sure she knew I loved her.

My mom is extreme about remembering my grandmother, I hear comments all the time about something she would like, dislike, or my mom asking me if she looks or acts like her. She visits the cemetery all the time. I go when I can, I've never refused but my mom just doesn't invite me if its an early weekend time or workday.
I miss her but the truth is I try not to think about her too much, because its too hard. I'm not sure I'll be able to be so dedicated to gravesites as they become my responsibility, but its also just because I think it's a bit pointless. If there is an afterlife, I really doubt the dead care if you bring their bodily remains flowers. And if there isn't, then you should just think of the dead, and keep them in your heart. Who do pretty gravesites benefit? Only yourself and other people visiting the cemetery.

But, I understand the need for the ritual for some people. Its 8 years later and anytime you open my mom's trunk its full of fake flowers and a jug of water for washing the grave marker with. So we visited for mother's day and here are some photos.

It is at St. Adalbert Cemetery in Niles Illinois. Its very Polish..

They are cell phone photos because I wasnt really planning on taking photos, it was a last minute thing.

This is my grandmother's.



 Here you can just see how many flowers and things there are.

Here is actually where my mom plans to move my grandma and wants us to be at. She says its because however they mow the cemetery, her flowers and things are always broken, moved, or lost. She says its happened many times and she's also frustrated that the grass near the area isn't growing well and they don't fix it or care. Soo she says shes wants our spots moved to this so she doesn't have to worry what it will look like..


Next is just some random photos of the area near us.





No comments:

Post a Comment