Monday, May 14, 2012

My Car - Yaris - Tints

I love my car. When I started working full time in 2007, a car was my first big goal. I had a terrible hand me down like most people do, but I always knew I would get a new one soon. It was always important to me because its something you use and look at everyday! I wanted something NEW too. I always find I take better care of things if they are brand new, shiny, and perfect... so I just wanted a new car REALLY bad.

I've always wanted a car that was a little different, I hate sedans-- they are such a generic common shape.. The three cars I considered were a Beetle, PT Cruiser, and a Toyota Yaris hatchback.

Looks wise, I still love PT Cruisers, but I chose the Yaris because it looked different AND has great gas mileage. At the time, it was one of the best- but I honestly don't know how it compares to newer cars now since mine is from 2009.

If you want to learn more about the Yaris check out, http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/. I love this place, I slack at keeping up but when you need something, or just want to look at pictures, or learn something, this is the place to go.

So the most obvious tip to make your car more YOU is a custom license plate of course! I adore mine because its two big things - 1. fandom, I love the Joker - yes the movie is what pulled me in more, but then I bought a bunch of comics and loved them. 2. Internet! I just like that this is a goofy internet meme in batman fandom and lolcats. It suits me ;)

My third little secret is that I just feel like its a good life motto. Especially in driving. I do not understand road rage. Who cares? There's nothing you can do stuck in traffic, unless you're a dick and plan to weave, speed, or cut people off. So I'm a pretty mellow driver and just don't care. If anyone is pissed on the road, I hope they read my plate.
Here it is new and shiny!

I met a friend on yarisworld.com and bought "eyelids" from him. Here is the before after.
See the headlights? I love how it looks!

I also met a good friend and tinter! Chris Knapczyk. (Ragehalos [at] aim.com)  Ironically he has a bunch of joker tattos AND "Why So Serious" tattooed on his wrist. We had no idea about this until we met up and he noticed my plates!
He tinted my windows to whatever the legal rate is (I would love darker, but I am paranoid.. cops will pull you over if its too dark) A tip I read on yarisworld was to print out the current tint law and keep it in the car. I have this in my glove compartment.

He did an amazing job. Its been 3 years and the tint is fine. Research whoever you go to, because a sign of bad tinting is bubbles, and I've NEVER seen that on my car. He did it perfectly, and at a great price. He also tinted my tail lights with a spray - I love them and will probably eventually return to him to do them darker, because I think just over time they need a touch up.


When the light isn't on it looks pretty black, but at night the light easily shines through.
I've never had a problem with them and I've passed cops many times.. and yes, even been pulled over for speeding, and no one has ever had issues with the tails. This is commonly called smoking/smoked tails and I love it on other cars when I see it.

So, Chris did a great job and three years later, when I walk to my car I love looking at it and just have to smile at my little blackest black car. If you're in the Chicago or suburbs area and need tint done you should definitely contact him. ragehalos [at] aim.com!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have that picture of your plate that I took when you first came to me for the tints... And then showing you my why so serious tattoo and you just smiling with fandom.. Lol. Friends ever since.

    ReplyDelete